Bulletin number: 2015-019SM
Opened: March 3, 2015
Closes: March 24, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. PST
Closes: March 24, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. PST
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.SPECIAL NOTE
There is currently one full-time overtime-exempt Business Analyst position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. This position is an “at-will” appointment, exempt from Washington State Civil Service rules and the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime requirements.COLLEGE PROFILE
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.eduCOMPENSATION
- Salary is $5,032 to $5,343 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
Under the direction of the Director of Business Services, collaborate with Business Services managers and Computing and Communications (C&C) staff to support, improve and replace computing systems and processes in the accounting, payroll, purchasing, student accounts, mailroom, bookstore, conference services and financial reporting operations. Conducts operational and organizational reviews to improve and automate processes and determine the best use of computing resources. In consultation with area managers, analyzes structure and workflow of work units to recommend changes that improve efficiency. In collaboration with C&C staff, analyzes and coordinates computer system replacements and upgrades, provides project management for computing projects and resolves all computing issues for Business Services.NATURE AND SCOPE
The position reports to the Director of Business Services. This position requires advanced working knowledge of complex rules, regulations and applications of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Office of Financial Management (OFM). Incumbent must possess a strong technical background and understanding, including experience with relational databases, system administration, troubleshooting and report writing. The work to be performed requires knowledge of business process and workflow analysis techniques and best practices. This position plays an intricate role in the Ellucian Banner System upgrade process by coordinating scope, timelines, end user testing, and problem resolution between the Banner Users Group (BUG) and C&C.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, computer science, information systems or closely related field.
- Three years of advanced experience working with an enterprise accounting, budgeting and/or financial system. Experience should include system administration (determining/granting user access), configuration (updating validation tables and business rules), upgrades (determining the impact and need) and support or primary point of contact for the system.
- Excellent computer skills, including working experience in report writing, system analysis and basic programming.
- Experience with and knowledge of Ellucian’s Banner software.
- Provide daily support for all Business Services operations and computer systems, like Banner Finance and all other related and/or integrated solutions.
- Conduct analysis of existing processes and develop best practices for using the finance system, oversee detailed upgrade plans, coordinate resolution of technical problems in collaboration with Computing and Communications (C&C) and vendors.
- Oversee financial systems (accounts receivable, accounting, purchasing, payroll, etc.) to include the oversight and maintenance of the financial systems validation forms, control forms and all other system related processes, including all interfaces between systems and feeds to the general accounting system.
- Maintain the permissions to access the financial systems, data security, and purchasing approvals.
- Coordinate internal user training for Business Services systems and processes; create and maintain training programs, including materials and schedules for user groups.
- Function as liaison to the faculty/staff help desk to resolve user problems and technical issues regarding the financial systems.
- Conduct reviews of business units' workflow and provide analyses to the Accounting Manager. Develop and periodically review departmental policies, procedures and desk manuals. Assist the Accounting Manager and other supervisors with policy, strategy, budget and workload distribution issues.
- Meet regularly and as required with Business Services managers and staff to analyze, interpret, troubleshoot and research possible solutions for computing system issues, business processes and operational issues. This includes consulting with Computing and Communications (C&C) staff to obtain expert advice as to the technical feasibility of potential solutions
- Coordinate regularly with C&C managers and staff to advance Business Services computer system needs, problem resolutions and projects.
- Act as project manager/primary contact for all ongoing projects and work being done by C&C for Business Services.
- Collaborate with system analysts, application developers, users, and managers in the planning and prioritization of projects and support cases.
- Monitor and respond to problems with Business Services computer systems in production, resolving known issues and determining when to escalate problems to C&C.
- Assist C&C system administrators in troubleshooting hardware and software problems as needed; help to define and understand the problems, provide business process and data analysis, determine the risk and severity of the problem in relation to business operations, test potential solutions and respond to questions in a timely manner.
- Assess, determine and recommend Business Services system replacement needs by leading requirements gathering activities, researching industry standards, best practices and emerging technologies.
- Make recommendations and participate in the purchasing activities for all Business Services technology and systems.
- Evaluate, monitor and make recommendations with regards to data security, integrity and digital storage. This includes applying and complying with data security standards within all Business Services systems and processes; working with campus data custodians and C&C to comply with all applicable state and federal laws regarding computer and data security.
- Prepare and maintain computer system documentation for all programs, systems, operations used by Business Services. These should include configuration details and serve as operating procedures manuals for users.
- Develop and maintain database reports using SQL and/or report writing tools for all areas of Business Services. Assist managers with ad hoc reporting needs and work with C&C as needed for more complex queries and data needs.
- Perform reconciliations and account analysis.
- Collaborate as a team member with completion of year-end reports and other year-end closing duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative working relationships with a diverse group of managers and employees at all levels within the college.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of projects and assignments requiring a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate highly complex and specialized technical information in understandable terms to management, faculty and staff.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and customer service skills.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with accounting, budgeting and financial software systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of a broad range of computer system concepts and best practices, such as:
- SQL, PL/SQL and enterprise database applications (e.g., Oracle, MS SQL Server, Postgres, etc.).
- Operating systems (e.g., Windows and Linux) and scripting languages.
- Applications design and development methodologies and best practices.
- Web application development languages (e.g., PHP, XHTML, XML or others, including development environments).
- Data analysis and reporting.
- Technical documentation.
- Quality assurance and testing.
- Project management.
- Version control and bug tracking.
- Windows environments with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Other applications as assigned.
- Ability to provide a major administrative role in system upgrades and maintenance.
- Extensive knowledge of GASB, FASB, GAAP and state fund accounting.
- Ability to interpret and comply with OFM guidelines, Revised Code of Washington (RCW) rules, OCIO data security standards and state reporting requirements.
- Ability to perform highly complex accounting functions.
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
TO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. A letter of application that addresses the extent to which you meet the Minimum Qualifications and the Desired Qualifications.
2. A resume that includes a chronological work history that details your education, training and professional experience, including months and years in each position.
3. At least three work-related references including name, address, and telephone number. Note: By providing this information you are authorizing the college to contact your references.
4. An Affirmative Action Data Sheet (Word | PDF) Note: Submission of this statistical information is voluntary.
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials. By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on-campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses.
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Mail: The Evergreen State College
Human Resource Services, Library Bldg Room 3102
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505
Fax: (360) 867-6823
Or in person to the Human Resource Services office, Library Building room 3102.
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360) 867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to email@example.com.